Wednesday, March 14, 2018

But Wait! There's More...

October 2016 I didn't feel well. I'd come home from work and go straight to bed without eating. I had insurance, but it was good in only three counties in Florida and I was living with my parents in North Carolina.

I broke down and self-paid. It was $176. The doctor told me I had a cold. My ears were normal despite my earache. My throat was normal despite my sore throat. My fever was only 99 degrees Fahrenheit and not considered of consequence. I wasted my time and money.

Two weeks later, November 19th, I could barely swallow. It was 5 am. I went to the emergency room. My insurance would cover that.

After a physical, the doctor said, "You have a cold or the flu. The flu is just worse than a cold." And sent me home. I refused to go. He then asked, "What do you want me to do?"

"To find out what is wrong with me. I've had a fever for 18 days. Nowhere on the internet does it say a fever lasts so long with a cold or the flu."

He then threatened an x-ray and sent the nurse with the results.

"You have pneumonia," the nurse said and handed me my discharge papers with a prescription for Z-Pak (Zithromax). A five-day antibiotic.

After two days, my fever was gone and I decided I could return to work. Since it was Thanksgiving week, I worked Monday and Tuesday. Wednesday was a teacher workday.

I then went home, packed the van, and with my parents and daughter, headed south. I was making a surprise trip to Florida to visit my husband and leave my parents with my sister. I was to return to North Carolina to teach my class Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. Then head back to Florida, Thursday to attend our daughter's wedding on the 2nd.

We stopped in Georgia for the night. My fever was back and my right leg was swollen. I slept with it raised and it was fine in the morning. (The Monday before we left, I woke in the middle of the night and couldn't bear weight on my right leg. I held my bladder and laid back on the bed. I was fine in the morning.)

In the morning, I told everyone, "I'm not feeling well and I think I have a blood clot in my leg. Eat a good breakfast. We aren't stopping to eat again. I will only stop to get gas, use the bathroom, and for needed stretching breaks." We ate the continental breakfast offered by the hotel.

By the time I got to Davie, Florida, to drop off my parents, I could barely move. After unloading their stuff, I told my daughter, "I'm not taking you home. Your brother is with your father and he'll take you home. I will have Dad take me to the hospital."

She wasn't happy about not going home right away but understood. And we surprised my husband with our visit.

"I'm not feeling well and I need you to take me to the hospital," I told my husband after our greeting kiss.

"But you just got here," he said.

"But I don't feel well."

"Can I take you to Homestead Hospital? It's close."

"No. This is Kendall sick."



"We're going to admit you for three or four days. You have bilateral pneumonia."

But wait, there's more... They also told me I had, "bilateral pulmonary embolisms with infarction, a DVT, lymphadenopathy, and a cyst in the mediastinal area of my chest."

I wasn't happy about being admitted. I didn't feel that bad, but accepted their decision with one stipulation. "As long as I'm out before the 2nd. My daughter's getting married that day."


Despite their promise, I remained in the hospital 18 days and missed my daughter's wedding. I was even on the going home board three times. (Guess four was the magic number this time) During my stay, they frequently reminded me of how sick I was.

But wait, there's more... One day, while discussing my progress, a doctor asked, "did you know you have a hiatal hernia?"

And more... They continued running test and added hyperparathyroidism to my list. (Three of my parathyroid glands were removed July 2017) Somehow, I went from healthy to a list of problems that needed attention. All of which needed to wait until after the pneumonia cleared. (they recommended at least three months)

And more... After I was released from the hospital, and before I was released to return to North Carolina, they diagnosed me with Antiphospholipid Syndrome. (my North Carolina hematologist didn't agree, so I've been off blood thinners for nine months. So far, so good)

My North Carolina insurance kicked in the first of January and I returned to North Carolina the second of January. I developed pneumonia again in February and have been clear since.

The CT scan in February showed no embolisms, no lymphadenopathy, and no damage left from the infarction, but the cyst remained.

A thoracic surgeon recommended removal of the cyst. June 2017 I had a follow-up appointment and CT scan to schedule the surgery. For unknown reasons, he postponed the surgery. He stood outside the exam room and said, "Everything looks good. The cyst shrunk a bit. See you in a year."

The look on my face prompted this response from him, "What? You want surgery?"

Not liking his attitude, I left the office. Figured I had a year.

January 2018, I had such chest pain I went to the ER. They did a CT scan. (every time I've gone to the ER with chest pain they run tests on my heart and they always come back that my heart is perfect. I know they have to run these tests, but my chest pains have never been about my heart) They agreed it wasn't my heart, but ran blood work several times to make sure. The CT scan showed the cyst had doubled in size since the June 2017 reading. (cyst removal is scheduled the 21st of March)

But wait, there's more... They said my gallbladder was thickened and ordered an abdominal ultrasound.  They found a 9mm nodule on my liver and recommended an MRI.

I waited to have the MRI until I was in Miami. (about two months later) The MRI didn't find the nodule and confirmed the thickened gallbladder.

But wait, there's more... It found a mass and a cyst in my pelvis. So I'm waiting for an ultrasound to inspect them. (scheduled in April) My doctor here, in Miami, also is investigating the thickened gallbladder. I have an appointment for that next week before the cyst surgery.

My question is: Is there an end to this list? Everything found is not serious and for that, I am grateful but I'm tired of going back and forth between CT scans, MRI's, and ultrasounds to diagnose this and that. (not in this dialogue because it didn't fit the, But wait! There's more...--I had an MRI December 2017 to see the damage in my shoulder better. It wasn't getting better with the injections and an x-ray doesn't show what's wrong. I have a labral tear and opted to have physical therapy rather than surgery to help it heal. It can take up to 18 months for recovery. I'm doing better, but still have frequent pain)

There is a lot going on in my life, but "life" is the keyword. I wake up each morning thankful for another day on this great planet. Thankful for the love of my life. Thankful for family and friends. Thankful I can still get around. Thankful I can write and, when I get all the needed supplies together, paint. (in the meantime, I'll continue to watch The Art Sherpa. Love her)

No comments:

Post a Comment